BVB Concert 7th December 2009


It was a pleasant evening on 7th December 2009 as I took stage at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Main Hall, Mylapore. The hall was full even when I started the show, and outside the organisers had thoughtfully installed projectors for viewers seated on chairs outside to watch and listen to the concert. I was accompanied by B. Anantakrishnan on the violin, and Arjun Ganesh on mridangam.

I started out with Sadachaleswaram, the Bhupala Raga kriti of Muthuswamy Dikshitar on the lingam seen at Thiruvarur. I handled swaras at "Kamala Vijaya kara", the madhyama kala passage in the charanam.

This was followed by the Varamu kriti of Papanasam Sivan, "Thunai Purindarul".

I then explained the meaning of the song "Samukhana Nilva" in Kokilavarali Raga of Thyagaraja and sang this piece peppered with a short alapana and swaras.

I then presented Raga Purvikalyani, the piece being "Deva Deva" of Swati Tirunal with niraval and swaras.

Then came "Akhilandeswari" of Dikshitar in raga Dwijavanti, on Ambal at Thiruvanaikavil.

The main piece of the evening was the emotive kriti "Muruga Muruga" of Periasamy Thooran in Saveri raga.

The tail pieces included a Sai Bhajan in Raga Kapi,  "Chitravati", and "Theertha Vittala" an abhang of Namdev, and finally "Bhaktha jana vatsale" an abhang in Brindavani Raga. I was inspired by Aruna Sairamji when I sang the abhangs, I thank her for her guidance in these pieces.

The response was very good. Yet another eventful music season at Chennai is in swing.






Audio Excerpts (MP3):


Comments

  1. great service to music world by you... I ish you keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kannukkul Pothivaippen - Thirumanam Enum Nikkah

A Raga's Journey — Heart-rending Hamsanandi

I have to identify it!!!!