Lecture Demonstration at Kola Saraswati school


On 22nd February I gave a lecture demonstration to students of Kola Saraswati Vaishnav School at Kilpauk. They were children of classes 5 to 8. Very cherubic faced, enthusiastic kids. I started off with an introduction to Mayamalavagowla, then Malahari, Mohanam, Kapi, Kaanada etc. I asked them simple questions and they chorused the answers. They sang along in Mohanam geetam "Vara Veena". The jubilation in their faces when they got an answer correct was something I will remember for a long time. Later requests came in for the show-stoppers like "Kurai Ondrum Illai" which I gladly fulfilled. I was their requested by the students (they screamed out loud) to sing "En Uchi Mandaila" from "Vettaikaran" at the end of the show. They sang that along too!!!

Comments

  1. Hi Charulatha ji,
    I am originally from Andhra and currently living
    in US. I am also a student in Bharatanatyam....a late bloomer. My guruji Deivika Natyamani Smt. Usha Narayan has also done research in Arrayar sevai and adapted the dance for stage as Sringa Nrittyam. I am currently learning the pasuram "Pallanda"... but the recording she has is very old and
    audio quality has deteriorated. I saw your video on youtube. Absolutely amazing...like honey to ears. I don't understand the language much but love the rasa...

    I would like to buy the CDs of pasurams...did not find them online...or I could not tell which ones had them. Would greatly appreciate your help...

    Respects,
    Saritha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kannukkul Pothivaippen - Thirumanam Enum Nikkah

A Raga's Journey — Heart-rending Hamsanandi

I have to identify it!!!!